Southern RZR Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home Of The Ultimate Trail Machine

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the the Southern RZR Riders Your Ride Hard - Play Hard RZR Forum

Help get out of state prices lowered for WMA land!!!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
badride

Location : Confederate States of America Fighting Terriorism since 1861

Help get out of state prices lowered for WMA land!!! Empty
PostSubject: Help get out of state prices lowered for WMA land!!!   Help get out of state prices lowered for WMA land!!! EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 8:03 am

The OHV program in Tennessee is managed by TWRA. It is funded by federal grants. The source of the grants is the Recreational Trails Program (RTP). The RTP is funded by a percentage of the tax on each gallon of gas sold across the country. The TWRA is responsible for a 20% cash match. Example, TWRA has to come up with $20,000 to get a $80,000 grant to total $100,000. The source of matching funds is TWRA's wildlife and / or wetland fund: or fees charged by TWRA for use of the North Cumberland WMA trails.

As you can see above, it is a grey area about funding, this and that or this, and TWRA can apparently move money around to suit their needs. How do we know the money from the grant is actually used on the trails and not put into the general fund of TWRA? The OHV program could stand on it's own if managed properly. Just look at the OHV riding area map. The only portion of land they show for OHV use is on the east side of I 75. They do manage those trails but they don't promote any of the land to the west side. Actually, they closed some of the existing trails there. If this area that lies between Brimstone and Windrock was managed properly and the trails there were marked and the old trails re-opened, and the out of state permits costs were dropped, it would increase tourism in the state. With all 3 permits, Brimstone, Windrock and the now WMA land that would give us access to over 200,000 acres! You could ride from Oliver Springs to Huntsville all the way to I75. That would be good for all of us.

TWRA is already rocked back on their heels and are in "wind down mode" which means if the bill that is in the state legislature isn't passed the TWRA will go out of bussiness. Check out this article below. If you have an issue with TWRA now is the time to contact your state rep or senator. I have a meeting with my state senator this friday to address my issues with TWRA. Brimstone is haveing a similar meeting with state reps/senators/mayor and other government officials on October 7th in Huntsville which I plan to attend. I want the OHV portion of TWRA to be removed and placed in a separate organization. Having a "game warden" over the OHV program is like having the fox guarding the hen house. Another issue is I want the in-state OHV permits lowered to the same price as the hunting license. If you agree, please post here and I will pass your coments on to the senator. I would like some replies from out of state riders also to show that you out of state guys would buy permits if they were a resonable price.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I for one pray that this happens. TWRA does what ever they want. They report to a 13 member panel that has 6 year staggered terms. The openings are filled by the govenor at the time. TWRA is also over what little off road program there is in North Cumberland - Sunquist unit. TWRA does NOT listen to the people of the state and use any of their input before making any policy changes.

After our last Govenor bought the land that was under Brimstone management, the TWRA wasted little time in closing most of the trails. What we need is for the OHV program to be removed from TWRA and placed in a separate program which will be dedicated to promoting OHV use in the state. It has worked for other states and it could here.

So, pass the word and get everyone you can to post a coment here. Let's make this happen while we have the opportunity. Please leave your first name, city and state if possible. I want to show how many people both in and out of state are supporting this.
Back to top Go down
Big-R

Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Help get out of state prices lowered for WMA land!!!   Help get out of state prices lowered for WMA land!!! EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 9:40 am

I would love to see a more reasonable price for out of state permits. The cost now is to high. I buy three yearly pass each year. Evarts in Ky, Brimstone in TN and Coal Creek also in TN. If the price was more reasonable and more trials open I would also buy a state permit.

I have been to Royal Blue one time. It cost $90 to ride for three days. That is more then any of the yearly permits that I buy. At that cost I will never go back.

It would be nice to see the land managed by the TWRA more available to out of state riders. I would visit more often and would bring my SxS Club with me.

Thank You
Ronnie Bryant
President
Southern SxS Riders .Net
Louisville KY

Back to top Go down
http://southernsxsriders.forumakers.com/
Big-R

Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Help get out of state prices lowered for WMA land!!!   Help get out of state prices lowered for WMA land!!! EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 9:43 am

Hey Roger,

I am going to post this on my site also. I will move the responses over here for you.
Back to top Go down
http://southernsxsriders.forumakers.com/
badride

PostSubject: Re: Help get out of state prices lowered for WMA land!!!   Help get out of state prices lowered for WMA land!!! EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 11:14 am

Big-R wrote:
Hey Roger,

I am going to post this on my site also. I will move the responses over here for you.

I just met with the senator. He actually co-sponsored the "Tennessee Adventure Tourism & Rural Development Act of 2011" so he is on our side. That bill allows side by sides and 4 wheelers to be driven on roads that are baiscly given the OK by local governments. Which means, that Huntsville (Brimstone) or other communities can now pass a law to let 4 wheelers/side by sides to run on the streets and that idiot in Nashville that opposed it can't stop them.

He understands wanting to lower the out of state prices. I showed him what Brimstone & Windrock charges but he said that he would be asked some questions when he brought the issue up. PLEASE, you guys that live in the states listed below answer the questions below that you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are the questions he asked me. Please help if you can.

What agency runs the OHV programs for Kentucky, Arkinsaw, North & South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and Arkansas?
What are their permit prices, in-state vs out of state?
Back to top Go down
S

S

PostSubject: Re: Help get out of state prices lowered for WMA land!!!   Help get out of state prices lowered for WMA land!!! EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 12:54 pm

Roger I know you didn't ask about here in IN. They have a permit that cost $30 for 3yrs. We can ride on county roads (the counties that allow it). We have a few state riding areas. Some are free and charge a daily fee. Cost is no different if out of state. Just need a copy of your bill of sells.
Back to top Go down
badride

PostSubject: Re: Help get out of state prices lowered for WMA land!!!   Help get out of state prices lowered for WMA land!!! EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 11:42 am

Just got off the phone with Mark Love, the manager at Brimstone. He is working on getting the bussiness owners together for the meeting on October 5th. He has already invited several senators, congressmen and local officials. Senator Bell told me Friday he would come. Mark is hoping someone will start some more bussiness in town.

Brent, the Coal Creek manager is talking to the Oliver Springs officals to get them on board.

This would be great! You could ride from the trail head or camping area to town for gas or food. You could even stay at the Windmill Inn and ride to the trails. So Jerry, you better get your family on board with this................. 547228
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help get out of state prices lowered for WMA land!!!   Help get out of state prices lowered for WMA land!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Help get out of state prices lowered for WMA land!!!
Page 1 of 1