Home Of The Ultimate Trail Machine
 
HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in
Welcome to the the Southern RZR Riders Your Ride Hard - Play Hard RZR Forum

Share | 
 

 Antenna for Mobile Radio

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:42 pm

Okay, I am looking for a Mobile Radio Antenna. Where do I get it at?

UHF Band has small connector in back of radio. The antenna I have seem to be causing static noise when the engine is on and I try to transmit. The receive is not affected, just when I transmit.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
Admin
avatar

Posts : 6722
Join date : 2010-03-10
Age : 50
Location : Marietta GA

PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:07 am



Rooster , i am sure someone will chime in.
Mason and Bush use them high powered radios in there buggy's.
i am sure they know more about what you are looking for.... 431114

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
mason

avatar

Posts : 1022
Join date : 2010-03-11
Age : 62
Location : austinville,va.

PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:07 am

is your radio hooked up to the battery direct? if not run wire for radio to battery straight alot of times that cures the problem call me if you need to anytime # 276-728-1526 i can get the antenna's
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:31 am

mason wrote:
is your radio hooked up to the battery direct? if not run wire for radio to battery straight alot of times that cures the problem call me if you need to anytime # 276-728-1526 i can get the antenna's

Yes the Power Leads run direct to the battery. I have been thru alot of troubleshooting already but cannot solve the problem. Here is the problem. When the Engine is not running, Radio Transmit and Recieve clearly, no noise. When the engine is running, Radio will Recieve clearly, but there is a noise which increases with RPM when you transmit. Noise is not louder than your voice but present.

Antenna is attached to roll bar above the Passenger headrest on my rhino. Yesterday I was talking to PWM on a ride and he said he had the same problem with his radio and had to get a different antenna to solve it. They guy I bought the radio from says that he cannot see how the antenna would be the problem.

I am not radio expert so looking for expert advise.
Back to top Go down
mason

avatar

Posts : 1022
Join date : 2010-03-11
Age : 62
Location : austinville,va.

PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:49 am

you can go to a radio shop CB or dealer and get a filter to put in the line that will solve the problem i have to see my radio man today and i will ask him Gimpy had the same problem but he hooked his to battery and solved it my radio man told him to do that or a filter
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:56 am

mason wrote:
you can go to a radio shop CB or dealer and get a filter to put in the line that will solve the problem i have to see my radio man today and i will ask him Gimpy had the same problem but he hooked his to battery and solved it my radio man told him to do that or a filter

I got a filter it is a Pryamid NS12. Hooked it up down near the battery. Made no difference. What I have not tried is hooking it up directly behind the Radio instead. That is my next step. This filter might not be the correct one anyways. I will look into a different filter. Would you please ask your radio guy if that filter I got is a piece of crap or not. I have heard a few things about it. Thanks
Back to top Go down
mason

avatar

Posts : 1022
Join date : 2010-03-11
Age : 62
Location : austinville,va.

PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:35 am

i called the radio man said that is good filter and close to battery as possible he said it could be antenna
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:50 am

Yea I think it is the antenna too. I need to get another antenna to try it at least. Any recommendations on a good one? I have tried everything and it is a very clean electrical connection I have now. So I doubt it is that.
Back to top Go down
mason

avatar

Posts : 1022
Join date : 2010-03-11
Age : 62
Location : austinville,va.

PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:01 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] what radio do you have? call me if you want to
Back to top Go down
jackhammer



Posts : 19
Join date : 2010-11-27
Location : Clarksville TN.

PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:54 pm

could be a bad ground on your antenna,
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:58 pm

It might be. I talked to Mason on the phone. What I am gonna do is run another grounding wire off the negative post of the battery to the roll cage. See if that solves the problem. I have tried everything else electrically. I have a good clean Positive and Negative wire going straight to the battery.
Back to top Go down
chipper



Posts : 68
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 46
Location : London, Ky

PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Rooster wrote:
It might be. I talked to Mason on the phone. What I am gonna do is run another grounding wire off the negative post of the battery to the roll cage. See if that solves the problem. I have tried everything else electrically. I have a good clean Positive and Negative wire going straight to the battery.

That's what I did, ran a ground wire off the antenna mount straight to the battery, that got rid of my engine interferrance.
Back to top Go down
badride



Posts : 1237
Join date : 2010-03-15
Age : 61
Location : Confederate States of America Fighting Terriorism since 1861

PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:35 am

It may just be it is on a Rhino. 729242

Sorry Rooster, I couldn't help my self.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:50 pm

badride wrote:
It may just be it is on a Rhino. 729242

Sorry Rooster, I couldn't help my self.

You are probably correct. If I can't get the Radio working then I am gonna trade the Rhino off.
Back to top Go down
badride



Posts : 1237
Join date : 2010-03-15
Age : 61
Location : Confederate States of America Fighting Terriorism since 1861

PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:03 am

Rooster wrote:
badride wrote:
It may just be it is on a Rhino. 729242

Sorry Rooster, I couldn't help my self.

You are probably correct. If I can't get the Radio working then I am gonna trade the Rhino off.

Just don't trade that bull dozer off! You and it have seem to bonded and are doing a good job. Keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
bigmike

avatar

Posts : 58
Join date : 2010-09-02
Location : Strawberry Plain, TN

PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:05 pm

Rooster, if u don't have a magnetic mount antenna then u must have the bolt on. When u drill the hole for the stud the two copper or brass washers should sandwich onto bare metal, this grounds the antenna. I made a mount out of sheet metal that bolts to where the flag whip would bolt to. I took a dremmel tool and made sure where my mount bolted up was bare and my mount to antenna connection was bear. I added some die eclectic grease at the bolt then once together I painted the mount I made.

Call Metro Communications in knoxville, got my antenna from them for 24 bucks. They will need to know what type end to put on it so if you go by there make sure and have your radio with you.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:52 pm

Mike,

I got the antenna from Chris John (same guy that sold your radio to you). He had it made up already. When you get time, take a picture of your antenna and how it is mounted to your vehicle. I ran a ground wire from the Antenna Bracket to the battery. Did not help it.

I am wondering if the place I have it mounted is the problem. It is sitting vertical next to one of the roll bar tubes. I will take a picture of mine and post it. I have read alot about all this with no results. I hate to throw money at a new antenna setup if that is not the problem at all.
Back to top Go down
bush

avatar

Posts : 836
Join date : 2010-03-10
Age : 32
Location : Castlewood VA

PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:45 am

hook your radio up to someone elses machine and see if it still does it then and put theres in yours.
Back to top Go down
bigmike

avatar

Posts : 58
Join date : 2010-09-02
Location : Strawberry Plain, TN

PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:38 pm

Rooster wrote:
Mike,

I got the antenna from Chris John (same guy that sold your radio to you). He had it made up already. When you get time, take a picture of your antenna and how it is mounted to your vehicle. I ran a ground wire from the Antenna Bracket to the battery. Did not help it.

I am wondering if the place I have it mounted is the problem. It is sitting vertical next to one of the roll bar tubes. I will take a picture of mine and post it. I have read alot about all this with no results. I hate to throw money at a new antenna setup if that is not the problem at all.

I keep drawing myself to an issue i've seen happen with car audio (and have fixed many of these issues too), a grounding loop. When different powered electronics are grounded to different spots. Where do you have the radio itself grounded at? Is it directly to the battery? See if you have a spot near the battery where there are ground wires bolted together and try moving your ground to them.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:31 pm

Mike,

I have the Radio grounded to the Battery. The other item that is on the battery ground is the winch.

I have an Amp for my speakers that is grounded to the frame just outside the battery box area. But the Amp is not turned on when this happens. Does that matter? With this being said, do you think if I hook all the Grounds up together attached to the frame not the battery? I believe I had it this way once but tried so many things maybe not.
Back to top Go down
bigmike

avatar

Posts : 58
Join date : 2010-09-02
Location : Strawberry Plain, TN

PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:22 pm

Rooster wrote:
Mike,

I have the Radio grounded to the Battery. The other item that is on the battery ground is the winch.

I have an Amp for my speakers that is grounded to the frame just outside the battery box area. But the Amp is not turned on when this happens. Does that matter? With this being said, do you think if I hook all the Grounds up together attached to the frame not the battery? I believe I had it this way once but tried so many things maybe not.

Try moving the ground to the frame. I'll get some pics up tomorrow of my antenna, there on my phone. I doubt your amp has anything to do with it but turn it on and off to see if it makes any difference. Mine is grounded to the frame up front with no issue. Usually a ground loop is created because one or more of the items grounded isn't getting a good connection causing interference. I know someone who is big into ham radios and such at work, I'll try to catch him tomorrow and run it by him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Antenna for Mobile Radio   

Back to top Go down
 
Antenna for Mobile Radio
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Antenna for Mobile Radio
» Satelite Radio Antenna Question
» Moose overhead radio unit
» CB antenna adapter for garmin
» OEM 66 G van radio antenna

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Southern RZR Riders :: How to- Mods and Fabrication :: Mods and Fabrications-
Jump to: