Welcome to the the Southern RZR Riders Your Ride Hard - Play Hard RZR Forum

Share | 

Hard start when warm

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GCFD112

PostSubject: Hard start when warm   Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:49 pm

Wondering if anybody else was having this problem. Me and three of the guys i ride with are all having this problem. After we have rode for a while and stop to bullshit for a few minutes when we go to fire our rzrs back up they hesisitate to fire up and act like they are flooding out and will run rough for a few seconds then clear up and run fine. They only do it after they are warmed up. Mine is a 12 model with 70 hours, one is a 12 model with 15 hours, another is a 12 model with 90 hours and the other one is a 10 model with 165 hours. I figured if all of us were having this problem surely someone else is. Any help or solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:27 pm

My 2010 did that a few times till I pulled the plug off the ecu behind the seat and filled it with dielectric grease, do that and you probily wont have that happen again.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
edge22

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:31 pm

Pretty sure it is just in limp mode because of heat. What happens is when u shut it off the engine temp goes up bacause their is not any coolant flowing through it. Mine does the same thing its a 11 model.
Look at your temp guage when u fire it up I would say its in the high 220s range but cools quick after it runs for a min.
Back to top Go down
GCFD112

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:11 pm

I have noticed that with the temp rising while sitting still due to coolant not flowing. I will have to try that with the ecu i dont see how that will help but i will deff try it. I thought it was just mine at first but when we noticed everybodys was doing it i just thought that was weird. Its aggravating especially as much money as we have spent on these things
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:59 pm

edge22 wrote:
Pretty sure it is just in limp mode because of heat. What happens is when u shut it off the engine temp goes up bacause their is not any coolant flowing through it. Mine does the same thing its a 11 model.
Look at your temp guage when u fire it up I would say its in the high 220s range but cools quick after it runs for a min.

X2
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:52 am

GCFD112 wrote:
I have noticed that with the temp rising while sitting still due to coolant not flowing. I will have to try that with the ecu i dont see how that will help but i will deff try it. I thought it was just mine at first but when we noticed everybodys was doing it i just thought that was weird. Its aggravating especially as much money as we have spent on these things

That condition can be caused by moisture, if you dont have the grease in the plug, it can get wet, washing, riding thru water or other ways. Ive never had my 11 do it, and mine has never got over 212 as to heat, i added water wetter to my coolant, id check you coolant level if running 220

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
GCFD112

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:04 am

It doesn't run 220 it only gets that warm while sitting for 5 or 10 minutes due to the coolant not flowing but as soon as you crank it up it cools back down. its not just mine that gets that warm all the guys that have 800s i ride with does the same thing. What is water wetter?
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:23 am

GCFD112 wrote:
It doesn't run 220 it only gets that warm while sitting for 5 or 10 minutes due to the coolant not flowing but as soon as you crank it up it cools back down. its not just mine that gets that warm all the guys that have 800s i ride with does the same thing. What is water wetter?
Its a coolant additive sold at auto stores that makes coolant run cooler , just drain out some coolant and add , best to put it directly in the radiator.

Back to top Go down
badride

Location : Confederate States of America Fighting Terriorism since 1861

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:34 am

And here I thought watter wetter was what happened when I took a leak in the creek.

My turbo Hayabusa does the same thing. After I stop sometimes it gets so hot the radiator over flows. I am installing an electric water pump so I can leave it running when I turn the motor off.
Back to top Go down
GCFD112

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:15 pm

how much are you supposed to add
Back to top Go down
badride

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:44 pm

GCFD112 wrote:

One 12 ounce bottle treats 12-16 quarts of water or a 50% ethylene or propylene glycol solution. In smaller cooling systems, use 4-5 caps per quart

That is for the Red Line product.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
aweisgarber

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:16 pm

badride wrote:
GCFD112 wrote:

One 12 ounce bottle treats 12-16 quarts of water or a 50% ethylene or propylene glycol solution. In smaller cooling systems, use 4-5 caps per quart

Snake oil.
Back to top Go down
badride

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:18 pm

aweisgarber wrote:
badride wrote:
GCFD112 wrote:

Snake oil.

That wasn't the answer he was looking for. I use mountain creek water sometimes myself...... 431114
Back to top Go down
GCFD112

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:52 pm

Ive noticed that my fan doesnt run with just the switch turned on the motor has to be running is this normal?
Back to top Go down
GCFD112

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:04 pm

anybody?
Back to top Go down
edge22

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:21 pm

Mine does the same, the fan will not run unless the motor is running
Back to top Go down
rzrrider1

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:46 pm

My fan will come on when i just turn the key on. 09 rzr s 431114
Back to top Go down
GCFD112

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:54 pm

i guess the newer models fans dont run unless the engine is running
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:43 am

GCFD112 wrote:
i guess the newer models fans dont run unless the engine is running

If the switch is on and its hot it should run, otherwise you might have a bad temp sending unit.

Back to top Go down
GCFD112

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:19 pm

We rode today and 2 of the guys i ride withs fans will not run unless the motor is running one is 12 model and one is an 11 model. My buddy that has the 10 model his would run with just the switch on. Polaris obviously has changed something on the newer models
Back to top Go down
southernkyrzr4

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:15 pm

My 12 rzr4 did the same thing when hot a couple times had to crank it a bit to start then ran rough for a min then cleared up. was wondering about what was going on too.
Back to top Go down
GCFD112

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:19 pm

Mine still does it but not as bad. Ive just learned to deal with it. Several of the guys i ride with does the same thing.
Back to top Go down
rzr340

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Polaris changed something with there fan switch for the 11 model year. I own an 11, the fan will only run when the engine is running. On my old 09 model, that fan would run with the key switch on...That being said, if the fan runs with the engine off, like on the older models you will cool the radiator off fast, but the engine still warms up after you shut it off....My 11 has the hot start issue, I am testing one theory now and it seems to be working, if you let the engine run for a minute after you come to a stop, especially if the fan is running then it doesnt to the hot start thing...Ive read on the other forum on this and some people are saying that its the mass air messing up...but i havent messed with that yet, i think its a heat soak thing....everyone i ride with that has an 11 or newer has the same problem...the 11 and newer RZRs do run hotter than the old ones.
Back to top Go down
edge22

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:36 pm

rzr340 wrote:
Polaris changed something with there fan switch for the 11 model year. I own an 11, the fan will only run when the engine is running. On my old 09 model, that fan would run with the key switch on...That being said, if the fan runs with the engine off, like on the older models you will cool the radiator off fast, but the engine still warms up after you shut it off....My 11 has the hot start issue, I am testing one theory now and it seems to be working, if you let the engine run for a minute after you come to a stop, especially if the fan is running then it doesnt to the hot start thing...Ive read on the other forum on this and some people are saying that its the mass air messing up...but i havent messed with that yet, i think its a heat soak thing....everyone i ride with that has an 11 or newer has the same problem...the 11 and newer RZRs do run hotter than the old ones.

Thank you, very well explained 971386
Back to top Go down
GCFD112

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:40 pm

That makes sense rzr340 thanks. Keep us posted if you come up with anything new abt the issue and ill do the same
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hard start when warm   

Back to top Go down

Hard start when warm
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next