Southern RZR Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home Of The Ultimate Trail Machine

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the the Southern RZR Riders Your Ride Hard - Play Hard RZR Forum

Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BLK Irish Racing

Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  Empty
PostSubject: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 10:30 am

Anyone on here running the UTV Solutions Gearboxes or any of the other companies that have tried to make them?

Here's the link to the UTV Solutions Set-up
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
BLK Irish Racing

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 2:00 pm

Here's a couple pics I found of them installed on a 1K!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
Admin
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 5:15 pm

never seen anyone using any but I can see how that guy needs them with those tires, welcome to the forum 23521
Back to top Go down
BLK Irish Racing

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks Gunner! You might remember me from when I worked at Racer Tech. I probably still have some post on here as Tony@Racer Tech.
Back to top Go down
edge22
edge22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 6:58 pm

Never seen any on a RZR here in east TN. What are you wanting to put them on?
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
Admin
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 9:21 pm

Never seen them in person , looks bad ass.. cheers
Welcome back tony..... 23521
Back to top Go down
BLK Irish Racing

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 9:36 am

We've put them on all models for Polaris, we make them. I just was trying to get some feed back from the forum if you guys have seen them or anyone elses. I know Highlifter tried to come out with them the same time we released them, and then for some reason stopped. Now theres a couple others trying to come out with them. Im just trying to find out whats out there and if you guys had seen or heard of them.

And glad I could make it back around here. I was never far off after my time at RT. I work for US 27 motorsports up here in Mi. still doing custom SxS builds and developing new products there, threw our UTV Solutions dept.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
Admin
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 9:51 am

welcome back tony!!
Back to top Go down
BLK Irish Racing

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 10:07 am

Thanks guys! Glad to be back. Besides from the UTv Solution I also run the polarispartsking.com website were I am working ot set up a promo code just for you guys on the forum here. We offer the best deals on all oem products and have a huge selection of aftermarket parts also. But if there is something specific your looking for and cant find it on the site just hit me up!
Back to top Go down
edge22
edge22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 12:04 pm

BLK Irish Racing wrote:
We've put them on all models for Polaris, we make them. I just was trying to get some feed back from the forum if you guys have seen them or anyone elses. I know Highlifter tried to come out with them the same time we released them, and then for some reason stopped. Now theres a couple others trying to come out with them. Im just trying to find out whats out there and if you guys had seen or heard of them.

And glad I could make it back around here. I was never far off after my time at RT. I work for US 27 motorsports up here in Mi. still doing custom SxS builds and developing new products there, threw our UTV Solutions dept.

I see a use for them but for the trails here in the east I think it would offset the wheels out to far.

Sence you guys are into this kind of stuff alot of us that do some hard core hillclimbing and rock crawling really need a front diff that will not explode and slip and pop.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 12:42 pm

edge22 wrote:
BLK Irish Racing wrote:

I see a use for them but for the trails here in the east I think it would offset the wheels out to far.

Sence you guys are into this kind of stuff alot of us that do some hard core hillclimbing and rock crawling really need a front diff that will not explode and slip and pop.

X2 on the front diff! Although the rzr front diff may be a tad better thsn the other brands, the hiliard design just don't seem to cut the mustard either. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
BLK Irish Racing

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 10:21 am

I hear you guys! We have issues with our front diffs. also. And we are working on a answer for that! It be a little bit yet but we should have something to try very soon. I have been working with a couple guys trying to design either a replacement part or complete new internals. I will keep you posted!

And as for the trails yes it does make the machine 7" wider per side depending on offset also it can be a little narrower. Again we are working on a similar set up that would make the boxes a little skinnier and smaller to run smaller rims also.
Back to top Go down
edge22
edge22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 11:25 pm

BLK Irish Racing wrote:
I hear you guys! We have issues with our front diffs. also. And we are working on a answer for that! It be a little bit yet but we should have something to try very soon. I have been working with a couple guys trying to design either a replacement part or complete new internals. I will keep you posted!

And as for the trails yes it does make the machine 7" wider per side depending on offset also it can be a little narrower. Again we are working on a similar set up that would make the boxes a little skinnier and smaller to run smaller rims also.  

Keep us updated on the diff. I know 2 or 3 of us that will try it out including me.
I bought a 1000 thinking the front diff was stronger than previous but I was wrong and still looking for a solution
Back to top Go down
BLK Irish Racing

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 9:59 am

How are you guys breaking them? Is it the sprague carrier with bearings thats breaking or the armature plate with the teeth that bend and break?
Back to top Go down
edge22
edge22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 10:10 am

BLK Irish Racing wrote:
How are you guys breaking them? Is it the sprague carrier with bearings thats breaking or the armature plate with the teeth that bend and break?  

I have had one on a 900 that exploded the case where the ring gear and pinion meet. What is causing it is for some reason the rollers on the sprag are not locking in all the way and with a bind or shock load it will slip and then grab, if you dont let out when it starts poping it will shock load the diff and something has to give.
I honestly wouldnt care if it was a manual lock where you had to get out of the rzr to lock it in long as it was rigid and wouldnt slip like the stock one.
Back to top Go down
edge22
edge22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 10:14 am

I will try and find some videos of them slipping so you can hear and see what is going on.
Their is a couple guys making billet housings for the stock internals but not the internals, I found them on facebook.
Back to top Go down
BLK Irish Racing

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 10:24 am

Yea we have seen the billet housings that some guys are making now, and have contacted them about it but then found out you still use stock internals. I know what you mean about the slapping and clunk it will make when you unload and start going again.
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4

jhoncho4x4

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 3:38 pm

edge22 wrote:
BLK Irish Racing wrote:

I have had one on a 900 that exploded the case where the ring gear and pinion meet. What is causing it is for some reason the rollers on the sprag are not locking in all the way and with a bind or shock load it will slip and then grab, if you dont let out when it starts poping it will shock load the diff and something has to give.
I honestly wouldnt care if it was a manual lock where you had to get out of the rzr to lock it in long as it was rigid and wouldnt slip like the stock one.

Thanks for that info. I have always wondered what that terrible noise. I thought it was the splines slipping / stripping where the axle mates to the differential. When I removed the axle to investigate, I found no evidence of slippage and gave up.
Back to top Go down
edge22
edge22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 6:04 pm

jhoncho4x4 wrote:
edge22 wrote:
BLK Irish Racing wrote:

Thanks for that info. I have always wondered what that terrible noise. I thought it was the splines slipping / stripping where the axle mates to the differential. When I removed the axle to investigate, I found no evidence of slippage and gave up.

I have found a company that claims they can help correct this problem by blue printing the diff internals and tighten up the tolerances. Around $160 bucks I think I am going to try them out.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
Admin
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 6:49 pm

You can let them tighten up your Diff , Just don't let them tighten up the ass end , its to damn
tight now....... 729242 ...... icon13
Back to top Go down
BLK Irish Racing

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 2:37 pm

Here's a Pic of the line up we took out to the show this weekend! The RZR 900 and Ranger 900 both have gear boxes on them! WE are testing the 6" Boxes on the RZR 900 now!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
Admin
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 3:10 pm

nice pics, got any action videos of these setups in action?
Back to top Go down
BLK Irish Racing

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 4:28 pm

I dont at the moment but will soon! We are just getting everything unloaded from the show. Time to play is coming up!
Back to top Go down
edge22
edge22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 5:30 pm

That's some good looking machines!!
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
Admin
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 7:00 pm

Them tires are huge..... 547228
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)    Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)  Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone running 4" Portal Boxes (Gear Reduction)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next