Southern RZR Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home Of The Ultimate Trail Machine

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the the Southern RZR Riders Your Ride Hard - Play Hard RZR Forum

"The Beast" ..A work in progress..

Go down 
+2
ChrisC
fatboyracing
6 posters
AuthorMessage
fatboyracing

"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. Empty
PostSubject: "The Beast" ..A work in progress..   "The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 9:22 pm

I finally learned to post pics, which is a feat all in itself...lol Anyhow, here are some pics of my RZR, after a few hard rollovers and some bent metal, I was afraid that it wouldn't hold up in a HARD rollover, plus I like to take things apart... Very Happy
Any suggestions would be great, plans so far are to build 3 link suspension for the rear (like the XP) and long travel A-arms for the front (custom built in my shop) wheelbase will be extended 8 inches and it will be 60" wide and will ride on either Fox podium shocks or 2.5 smoothie nitrogen shocks (suggestions?) and I HOPE for an 850 Athena Big Bore kit for Christmas!

"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. Rzr1

"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. Rzr4

"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. Rzr3

"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. Rzr2

Back to top Go down
ChrisC
Admin
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: "The Beast" ..A work in progress..   "The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 9:39 pm

It's looking good..... 431114
All i would be concerned with is , with all the beefing up of the frame.
and all the extra bars. what do you thing you will be looking at
weight wise.... 248474
Back to top Go down
fatboyracing

PostSubject: Re: "The Beast" ..A work in progress..   "The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 10:08 pm

It's not as bad at it would seem, or even as bad as I thought it would be. I started off by taking 100lbs off of it when I cut all of the outer frame off of it, and the metal I have used so far was 185lbs, so essentially I have only added 85lbs to it. I tried to keep all of this in mind when I planned everything out. Of course I'm not done yet, but I hope to add no more than another 50lbs at most in the suspension. I am also using the stock floor pans instead of sheet metal as well as pvc plastic instead of sheet metal for body panels. I hope it doesn't get TOO heavy on me, I know that I can make the suspension work no matter the weight, it's the loss of power that concerns me, I hope to make up the difference and then some with the 850 kit, but that is up to the wifey...lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "The Beast" ..A work in progress..   "The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 12:44 am

"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. 89060 A lot of work in progress there so keep the pics comming.
Back to top Go down
fatboyracing

PostSubject: Rear Suspension Mock Up   "The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:00 pm

Here is the start of the rear suspension. Sorry it took so long for an update, new baby on the way, so the projects have slowed down!! But I'm back in the groove now, hope to have it rolling by the end of the week. I have ordered Fox podium X shocks from a 900XP, I think they will work great considering my suspension is kind of a mock up of the trailing arm system, if they don't work, 2.0 coilovers will. I can't wait to get this thing rolling and se what she'll do on the trails!!!

"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. Rzr8

"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. Rzr7

"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. Rzr6

"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. Rzr5
Back to top Go down
Dean

Dean

PostSubject: Re: "The Beast" ..A work in progress..   "The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Looking good there Brother keep the pics coming
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "The Beast" ..A work in progress..   "The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:10 pm

50176 Really liking it-your doing a good job!
Back to top Go down
fatboyracing

PostSubject: Re: "The Beast" ..A work in progress..   "The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:14 pm

jerrzr wrote:
50176 Really liking it-your doing a good job!

Thanks!!! Can't wait to come to East TN and beat it up!!!
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
Admin
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: "The Beast" ..A work in progress..   "The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:18 pm

it should really hold up now...... cheers
Back to top Go down
mason

mason

PostSubject: Re: "The Beast" ..A work in progress..   "The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 8:21 am

looking great 780798 316414 113872
Back to top Go down
fatboyracing

PostSubject: Finally on the Wheels!!!   "The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 10:33 am

Well, my shocks and axles finally came in, so I got the shock towers and tabs all fabbed up and finally set it on the ground. I must say I am very pleased at the way she is turning out. I went with Fox Podium X shocks and Gorilla HD axles. I changed my mind on the air shocks at the last minute and went with the Podium Xs to avoid needing external bump stops and limit straps. The rig folds up pretty good and it has all the travel the axles will give without binding up. Thanks to all the guys who gave me some input on the shocks in my other thread, I decided that air shocks are just too hard to adjust on such a light weight rig, plus they aren't made for high speeds and I like to go FAST!!! I diamond plated the fenders and the door panels, I don't really care much for sticks in the ribs, and my last plastic didn't like them much either. Pretty close to being ready, all I need now is to box everything out, add a few more bars, cut my skid plate, and get me a new front differential out of a 2011 model and she'll be ready to roll....literally!

What I started with
"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. RzR9

Where I started
"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. RzR24

The cage
"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. Rzr3

The front
"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. Rzr1

The back of the cage
"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. Rzr2

The front suspension travel
"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. RzR18

The rear suspension Mock up
"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. RzR22

"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. RzR21

Diamond Plate Fender
"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. RzR19

Diamond Plate Door
"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. RzR20

Finally off the frame jig!!!
"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. RzR26

I know I know, my shop is a wreck!!! I got so involved that I haven't stopped to clean up! I am ready to ride!!

(And no, that is not me in the pic, that is my buddy and his very pregnant wife who will kill me if she sees that picture I'm sure!)
Back to top Go down
rzrrider1

rzrrider1

PostSubject: Re: "The Beast" ..A work in progress..   "The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 10:41 am

792182 431114
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
Admin
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: "The Beast" ..A work in progress..   "The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 11:07 pm

It should be a very tuff machine for sure..... cheers
Back to top Go down
fatboyracing

PostSubject: Re: "The Beast" ..A work in progress..   "The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 8:32 pm

Finished her up this past week, beat it up pretty good over the weekend and fixed a minor week spot or two, but it did impressively well. I am proud of it so far. I have ordered an XP front diff, can't wait to get the 4wd working and see what I can get into!! I followed my buddy in his stock S this weekend and I went everywhere he went in 2wd, so I think it will go pretty good. Got a little powder coating and buttoning up to do and she should be ready for the big ride at Windrock Memorial Day weekend, so maybe I can meet some of you guys!!!

"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. RzRcomplete
Back to top Go down
rzrrider1

rzrrider1

PostSubject: Re: "The Beast" ..A work in progress..   "The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 10:27 pm

fatboyracing wrote:
Finished her up this past week, beat it up pretty good over the weekend and fixed a minor week spot or two, but it did impressively well. I am proud of it so far. I have ordered an XP front diff, can't wait to get the 4wd working and see what I can get into!! I followed my buddy in his stock S this weekend and I went everywhere he went in 2wd, so I think it will go pretty good. Got a little powder coating and buttoning up to do and she should be ready for the big ride at Windrock Memorial Day weekend, so maybe I can meet some of you guys!!!

"The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. RzRcomplete
Where are you planning on staying at for Memorial day weekend?
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
Admin
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: "The Beast" ..A work in progress..   "The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. EmptyTue May 01, 2012 12:08 am

it looks Mean....... 547228
Back to top Go down
The Reaper

The Reaper

PostSubject: Re: "The Beast" ..A work in progress..   "The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. EmptyTue May 01, 2012 1:12 am

awesome metal work there
Back to top Go down
fatboyracing

PostSubject: Re: "The Beast" ..A work in progress..   "The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. EmptyTue May 01, 2012 1:58 am

[/quote]Where are you planning on staying at for Memorial day weekend?[/quote]

Thanks guys for all the comments, I just hope it performs as well as it turned out for me...lol

I think we are actually staying in Herriman with my in-laws, it is about an hour drive to the trails from there, plus we won't have to hassle with camping, plus, my wife will be almost 8 months pregnant by the, and I am SURE she would rather hang out with her Mom than at a campground in the heat!!!
Back to top Go down
fatboyracing

PostSubject: Re: "The Beast" ..A work in progress..   "The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. EmptyTue May 01, 2012 2:04 am

Also guys, I am considering doing some custom cages, I even thought about doing a kit. Nothing will be as extreme as I have done with mine, it would all bolt on in the factory locations, but I may try to do some, and if anybody is interested in being a guinea pig so that I can show my work, hit me up. I would really like to do a four seater and an XP, I have some awesome ideas, but I am all out of RZRs to practice on!!! Can't wait to meet everybody in a few weeks, and btw, I need a SRR sticker!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "The Beast" ..A work in progress..   "The Beast"  ..A work in progress.. Empty

Back to top Go down

"The Beast" ..A work in progress..
Page 1 of 1