Southern RZR Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home Of The Ultimate Trail Machine

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the the Southern RZR Riders Your Ride Hard - Play Hard RZR Forum

Heat Between Seats

Go down 
+4
ChrisC
gimpy
edge22
mkrazr
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mkrazr

mkrazr

Heat Between Seats Empty
PostSubject: Heat Between Seats   Heat Between Seats EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 4:42 pm

This is my first post in awhile, hope everyone's been doing great!........ As some of you know i'm a seasonal off road rider and dont do much summer 4 wheeling 887541 anywho Took the ole xp for about a 20 mile trip across the mountain, This is the first time owning a rzr since 2009 that i have rode trails in the summer and the heat coming between the seat was awful not to be a 679659 but has anyone done anything to fix this problem, i know if i had taken my windshield off i could have got better air flow where it probably wouldnt matter but i like running a windshield so people dont throw any mud in my eyes.......Anyway hope someone has come up with some kind of home remedy for this.......... Heat Between Seats 89060
Back to top Go down
edge22
edge22

Heat Between Seats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Between Seats   Heat Between Seats EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Mitch, I am having the same problem. The heat is coming from the header, if you take the winshield out it is much better.
Another problem I am having with the header placement is its over heating my shock. Its not going to be long before it is blown, it is already starting to seep oil around the nitrogen can where it attatches to the shock body.

You can ride around for about 10 min and stop and you cant hold your hand on the nitrogen can its so hot, anyone that knows anything about suspension knows when a nitrogen shock is that hot its useless and not doing its job.
I thought about header wrap but I have read where the header is rather thin / cheap and I am afraid that would cause the metal to get even hotter and cause the header to fail. So I am still scratching my head trying to cme up with a fix...
Back to top Go down
gimpy

gimpy

Heat Between Seats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Between Seats   Heat Between Seats EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 9:12 pm

On my RZRS, I bought thick rubber (pond liner type) from the local General Rubber store. I cut it to fit under the seats to close off the open area. I copied the idea from 8Ball on our other site. It works great.
Back to top Go down
edge22
edge22

Heat Between Seats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Between Seats   Heat Between Seats EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 9:26 pm

That would help im sure, his a XP and mine also, the heat is much much worse on the xp.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
Admin
ChrisC

Heat Between Seats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Between Seats   Heat Between Seats EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 1:07 am

I have heard that the XP is extremely Hot behind the seats.
Po Po needs to address this.... 248474
Back to top Go down
TNDan

Heat Between Seats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Between Seats   Heat Between Seats EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 3:57 pm

Several of the first ones caught on fire. XPs were actually dangerous. PoPo replaced all the plastic with insulated plastic. This helped but wasn't really enough... all the plastic around any screw head melted. My friend has wrapped the header pipes with insulation... that helped a little more.

The only good fix is to have the header pipes ceramic coated.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/northcumberlandtrailsmap
mkrazr

mkrazr

Heat Between Seats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Between Seats   Heat Between Seats EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 9:51 am

Found new issues with the heat, turns out that my panel between the seats and the motor has melted, i only noticed this because i glanced back and could see the header glowing, is this normal? i never knew of them getting that hot?
Back to top Go down
seweljj

seweljj

Heat Between Seats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Between Seats   Heat Between Seats EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 11:13 am

Yes, I have heard of a lot of people's panel melting. You should look and see if there is a heat shield on the backside of the panel. Mine didn't originally come with one, but when i took it in for a rattle they told me it was a recall and they installed it on mine. I haven't had trouble with mine melting.

If yours doesn't have a the shielding, then i would take it to the dealer and tell them you heard it was a recall.
Back to top Go down
TNDan

Heat Between Seats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Between Seats   Heat Between Seats EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 12:34 pm

Header glow is normal on most gasoline engines when loaded at higher rpms.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/northcumberlandtrailsmap
mkrazr

mkrazr

Heat Between Seats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Between Seats   Heat Between Seats EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 1:08 pm

I do have the heat shield, i'm surprised after 600 miles that it all the sudden wants to melt, the header is glowing when not running at a high rpm my engine temp, was not even up to normal operating tempeture it was around 175, when i smelled the plastic melting i was only cruising around the yard at about 15 mph
Back to top Go down
BigAlCASH

Heat Between Seats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Between Seats   Heat Between Seats EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 1:51 am

Put the Alba fuel controller on my xp and Ricky Bobby's xp and got rid of the glowing pipes.they run smoother also! 431114
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
Admin
ChrisC

Heat Between Seats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Between Seats   Heat Between Seats EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 4:07 am

BigAlCASH wrote:
Put the Alba fuel controller on my xp and Ricky Bobby's xp and got rid of the glowing pipes.they run smoother also! 431114

Cause it richened the fuel mixture up.
that has been the problem with all RZR's since 2010.
po po leaned them out to try to get better fuel mileage.

Lean is why pipes get red.... 431114
Back to top Go down
toradi2

toradi2

Heat Between Seats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Between Seats   Heat Between Seats EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 9:47 am

I got a heat shield from the dealership and it fixed the heat problem
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
Admin
ChrisC

Heat Between Seats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Between Seats   Heat Between Seats EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 10:41 pm

toradi2 wrote:
I got a heat shield from the dealership and it fixed the heat problem

I am glad you got it worked out Tony , last i remember
your wife was not happy having to stuff towels behind the seats...... lol!
Back to top Go down
edge22
edge22

Heat Between Seats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Between Seats   Heat Between Seats EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 8:28 pm

Seems promising so far, shock is cool to touch after running it hard and heat between seats is pretty much gone. [img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
Admin
ChrisC

Heat Between Seats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Between Seats   Heat Between Seats EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 8:31 pm

Edge , why didn't you just take it up all the way to the flange..... 248474
Back to top Go down
edge22
edge22

Heat Between Seats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Between Seats   Heat Between Seats EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 8:45 pm

The pipes are almost touching in that area so their was not room to get the wrap between them, I could have added another piece their but I was trying to eleminate seems and gaps for water and mudd to collect. My main goal was to get the heat off the shock. I also put the factory heat shields back over all of it.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
Admin
ChrisC

Heat Between Seats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Between Seats   Heat Between Seats EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 10:32 pm

I see...... 431114
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Heat Between Seats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat Between Seats   Heat Between Seats Empty

Back to top Go down

Heat Between Seats
Page 1 of 1