Southern RZR Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home Of The Ultimate Trail Machine

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the the Southern RZR Riders Your Ride Hard - Play Hard RZR Forum

I learned something today, must read for welders

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GunRunner
Admin
GunRunner

I learned something today, must read for welders Empty
PostSubject: I learned something today, must read for welders   I learned something today, must read for welders EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 9:52 am

Watching a racing show today and they were talking about welding safety. Ive never heard of this but it is something everyone of us that welds should know! Scary shit!!! Seems a lot of people clean parts with Brake cleaner before welding them together, combine that with a welder using argon gas and the chemical left behind from the brake cleaner will create a poisonous gas called phosgene gas . This gas can kill you and was actually used in past world wars as a weapon, if you dont breath enough to kill you it can ruin your respiratory system and nervous system and you will live with its effects for the rest of your life as there is no antidote. It has a smell of fresh cut grass or hay, It can also be created welding or brazing HAVC lines if they have residual refrigerant in the lines. They said the best way to protect yourself is to not use chemicals to clean parts to be welded and to have very good ventilation when welding. Damn im glad i saw that show, this is good info to know! 431114
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I learned something today, must read for welders   I learned something today, must read for welders EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 10:03 am

Dang! Thanks for the info, I've used brake cleaner to clean parts before welding them and I have smelled that smell before... affraid I have never had any proper welding education, I just picked it up on my own and learn from my own mistakes but thats one mistake I cant afford to make... again, THANKS for the info!
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
Admin
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: I learned something today, must read for welders   I learned something today, must read for welders EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 1:09 am

jerrzr wrote:
Dang! Thanks for the info, I've used brake cleaner to clean parts before welding them and I have smelled that smell before... affraid I have never had any proper welding education, I just picked it up on my own and learn from my own mistakes but thats one mistake I cant afford to make... again, THANKS for the info!

Dam jerry , now we know what happened to you.... 780841
ya , i have smelled it. after almost 30 years of welding. i am still here... 431114
Cell phones also cause cancer too.... lol!

besides , i don't use cleaners on parts to weld. i hit them with the
50 gritter to clean them up.... Wink
Back to top Go down
RZR-S X 2

RZR-S X 2

PostSubject: Re: I learned something today, must read for welders   I learned something today, must read for welders EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 8:12 am

Do you have to worry if your welding looks like mud dobbing like mine I learned something today, must read for welders 792811
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I learned something today, must read for welders   I learned something today, must read for welders Empty

Back to top Go down

I learned something today, must read for welders
Page 1 of 1