Southern RZR Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home Of The Ultimate Trail Machine

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the the Southern RZR Riders Your Ride Hard - Play Hard RZR Forum

CV boot and hub questions?

Go down 
+3
ChrisC
muddy-one
edge22
7 posters
AuthorMessage
edge22
edge22

CV boot and hub questions? Empty
PostSubject: CV boot and hub questions?   CV boot and hub questions? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 5:11 pm

Guys should have some parts for my rzr tom eve and want to start getting it back together. I am replacing a cv boot that has a hole in it and wondering what do you use to tighten the clamps around the boot? Is their a automotive tool you can rent from autozone or something?
2nd I am replacing wheel bearings in the front and rear and 2 hubs, I have read somewhere the torque on the hub bolts is pretty important. Any of you know what the front and rear is supposed to be torqued at?
This is a 2011 rzr S.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
muddy-one

muddy-one

PostSubject: Re: CV boot and hub questions?   CV boot and hub questions? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 9:48 pm

I bought a banding tool from Gorilla Axel. Was under $20
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
Admin
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: CV boot and hub questions?   CV boot and hub questions? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 11:19 pm

Yes thats what you need Banding pliers..... 431114

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
muddy-one

muddy-one

PostSubject: Re: CV boot and hub questions?   CV boot and hub questions? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 9:49 am

This is like the one I use.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CV boot and hub questions?   CV boot and hub questions? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 10:56 am

I think the hub nuts torque at 80lbs..

I've had way too much experience with replacing cv boots. I personally like reusing the stock clamps using a pair of pliers. I've also done it using safety wire using the twisting safety wire pliers-it works good but it feels and looks rigged to me and just do it if I dont have any bands or clamps. Here is a good video of how you do it using the banding tool that you roll like muddy one posted. They are good because you can use generic bands all day long. That tool is also good to use with stainless zip ties, but you have to be carefull with the steel zip ties because some will not tighten up very well. Here is a good vid of someone using that rolling banding tool:
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/dnGeS2i6Jxs?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/dnGeS2i6Jxs?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

What sucks the most for me is having to take the cv joint off the axle to replace the boot--its messy is all get out. I wished I had one of these!
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/_GIdMLv8ci8?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/_GIdMLv8ci8?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>
Back to top Go down
badride

Location : Confederate States of America Fighting Terriorism since 1861

PostSubject: Re: CV boot and hub questions?   CV boot and hub questions? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:47 am

I can't see the videos here at work so I don't know if it shows what I use or not. The best way I have found to remove the CV from the axle is to use a tool I made. I used a 2" long piece of pipe. I cut a slot in it just large enough to slide over the axle. I welded it to an old air chisel bit that I didn't use any more. I put the axle in a vise, slide the pipe over the axle, pull the trigger and in about one second the CV is laying in the floor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CV boot and hub questions?   CV boot and hub questions? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 12:00 pm

badride wrote:
I can't see the videos here at work so I don't know if it shows what I use or not. The best way I have found to remove the CV from the axle is to use a tool I made. I used a 2" long piece of pipe. I cut a slot in it just large enough to slide over the axle. I welded it to an old air chisel bit that I didn't use any more. I put the axle in a vise, slide the pipe over the axle, pull the trigger and in about one second the CV is laying in the floor.

729242 You caint see the video. I know it sucks because my work place has videos restricted also. But I can tell you for $117.00 , changing cv boots just got a whole lot cleaner and easier and less troublesome. But in the real world, when you tear a boot you are out riding and you caint help to get dirt or water in the cv, so it has to come off anyway to clean it out good. I too made a tool like you but just use a hammer--never thought about fixing it to work with my air chisel- 113872 for the idea.
Back to top Go down
RCjohn

RCjohn

PostSubject: Re: CV boot and hub questions?   CV boot and hub questions? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 2:00 pm

I use a trailer... and take it to the dealer. lol!
Back to top Go down
badride

Location : Confederate States of America Fighting Terriorism since 1861

PostSubject: Re: CV boot and hub questions?   CV boot and hub questions? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 2:29 pm

RCjohn wrote:

I can't afford that.............I have to save my money for beer. 866808 866808 866808 866808 866808 866808 866808 866808 866808
Back to top Go down
aweisgarber

PostSubject: Re: CV boot and hub questions?   CV boot and hub questions? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 4:27 pm

badride wrote:
RCjohn wrote:

I can't afford that.............I have to save my money for beer. 866808 866808 866808 866808 866808 866808 866808 866808 866808
All 6 of them? 729242
Back to top Go down
RCjohn

RCjohn

PostSubject: Re: CV boot and hub questions?   CV boot and hub questions? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 4:33 pm

Actually I wouldn't take it to the dealer either. I'll let them do the warranty stuff but most other items will be taken care of by me. I trust me more than I do dealers.
Back to top Go down
edge22
edge22

PostSubject: Re: CV boot and hub questions?   CV boot and hub questions? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 8:53 pm

Thanks for the help guys, think I have it going my way now.
Back to top Go down
Nocerisdave

Nocerisdave

PostSubject: Re: CV boot and hub questions?   CV boot and hub questions? EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 1:24 am

This is a great vid..

.[youtube]<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/UyulfoPQQlU?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/UyulfoPQQlU?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CV boot and hub questions?   CV boot and hub questions? EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 2:58 am

Nocerisdave wrote:
This is a great vid..

.[youtube]<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/UyulfoPQQlU?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/UyulfoPQQlU?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Yes sir ree, good vid! They also sell some awesome shocks.

James, git that thang together quick! We be riding come Sat morning at 9- 9:30ish; but if you caint make it, you know it wont be long before the local group -- Stacrzr, Mkrazr, Durarzr ect... will be kicking ass on the Mt. 293566

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CV boot and hub questions?   CV boot and hub questions? Empty

Back to top Go down

CV boot and hub questions?
Page 1 of 1