Southern RZR Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home Of The Ultimate Trail Machine

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the the Southern RZR Riders Your Ride Hard - Play Hard RZR Forum

Steering wheel removal

Go down 
+2
Clayboy
Chuck B
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chuck B

Chuck B

Steering wheel removal Empty
PostSubject: Steering wheel removal   Steering wheel removal EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 10:55 am

So I got the Polaris replacement steering wheel and hub for a great price, and then began the adventure of trying to get the old wheel off... 918999 I tried some of the suggestion posted on other forums:
WD-40 and wait...no luck
Ratchet straps.....no luck
Hit it with a rubber mallet.....no luck
Gear puller...no luck

Finally removed the whole thing and used the "vise method" I kept the bolt on there so I wouldn't mess up the threads and BINGO...it came off!

BUT...................

I obviously had the bold screwed down a few threads, or it kind of moved down by itself while I was smacking the crap out of it because I stripped the end threads on the shaft 431114 I got the nut off, but the end is so bad, I just ordered another one from my dealer.

Oh well, live and learn. Just thought I'd post this on "how to" so anyone who tried it would be really careful.
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
Member #01
Clayboy

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel removal   Steering wheel removal EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 11:24 am

Here's what I did. Loosen the nut and put the wheel in the full up position. Spray a good amount of Aerokroil and let it soak in over nite. Next morning, pull on the wheel while tapping on the nut and shaft and "POP" off she will come. That worked for me, might just work for someone else. I know some may be tougher that others.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel removal   Steering wheel removal EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 12:24 pm

113872 I have never seen that product before. Is it about the same as PBblaster? I live by that stuff. I have had a few stuck axles that pbblaster has broken free for me. The latest thing that it fixed for me was the tilt shock. The relief valve on the steering tilt shock froze up and pbblaster got it working again. Another thing that I found pbblaster is great for is to remove glue from the dummy stickers on the rzr. I found that out by mistake while tinkering with the tilt shock.

I'll make sure I get a can of aero kroil and try it out too ---- Cant have enough penetrating lubricant around 113872
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
Admin
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel removal   Steering wheel removal EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 12:28 pm

most 08s and 09s will require you destroy the wheel to get it off, if one comes off in one piece your just lucky lol! the 2010 steering wheel has the center made from aluminum rather than the steel the others had and it will pop off easy.
Back to top Go down
Chuck B

Chuck B

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel removal   Steering wheel removal EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 1:27 pm

Funny...the wheel is in OK shape...it's the shaft that I screwed up!
Back to top Go down
loosenut

loosenut

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel removal   Steering wheel removal EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 6:47 pm

I used a big f"en hammer and a good ole buddy named Dodds ! He was a pullen, while i was a hitten! 50176 good luck
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
Admin
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel removal   Steering wheel removal EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 9:10 pm

I drilled holes in mine , and used a wheel puller to pull the wheel
off the gear. then i heated the gear on the hub and jerked it off.

Dam an old stock steering wheel..... 297899
Back to top Go down
muddy-one

muddy-one

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel removal   Steering wheel removal EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 9:30 pm

I used a ball joint fork. 431114 Just a couple hits with a hammer and it popped right off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel removal   Steering wheel removal Empty

Back to top Go down

Steering wheel removal
Page 1 of 1