Southern RZR Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home Of The Ultimate Trail Machine

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the the Southern RZR Riders Your Ride Hard - Play Hard RZR Forum

Tools to change belt

Go down 
+2
JodyT
fat boy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
fat boy

fat boy

Tools to change belt Empty
PostSubject: Tools to change belt   Tools to change belt EmptyThu May 27, 2010 8:55 pm

Ive heard of alot of guys breaking and changing there belts out on the trail and I was wondering if anyone new exactly what tools you need to do this. My rzr's are getting some miles on them and im afraid im gonna be changing one of them soon, just want to be ready.
Back to top Go down
JodyT

JodyT

PostSubject: Re: Tools to change belt   Tools to change belt EmptyThu May 27, 2010 9:04 pm

I have changed mine on the trail...I don't remember exactly what I used, but I carry one of those elcheapo walmart toolcases. the ones that have a few standard and metric sockets, an adjustable wrench, some allen wrenches, and a hammer. me and a buddy did it in about 30 minutes with either of us never doing it before....
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/jodytompkins
fat boy

fat boy

PostSubject: Re: Tools to change belt   Tools to change belt EmptyThu May 27, 2010 9:18 pm

yea I think I remembered you having to change yours on that royal blue trip that I broke down and had to leave early, thats one of the reasons I asked.
Back to top Go down
JodyT

JodyT

PostSubject: Re: Tools to change belt   Tools to change belt EmptyThu May 27, 2010 9:39 pm

Yep....that was it, on the side of the Mountain headed up to the Top of the world....that Day I learned the hard way that you don't run in high gear going up long steep grades.... lol!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/jodytompkins
muddy-one

muddy-one

PostSubject: Re: Tools to change belt   Tools to change belt EmptyThu May 27, 2010 9:53 pm

Here is a good vid from rzrforums showing how to change a belt and what tools are needed.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tools to change belt   Tools to change belt EmptyThu May 27, 2010 11:19 pm

That is a good video showing how to change a belt 431114 But one thing to note is that when your out on the trail and you break a belt, It would be a good Idea to have a long pair of needle nose pliers and a good sharp utility knife. I have broken three belts and sometimes they shred into a lot of strings that get wrapped up in the clutches and hard to get out. The pliers are good to grab them with and the knife to cut them.

Also, dont forget to clean out your exhaust duct because a lot of times it will be clogged with belt debris.... 980928
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
Admin
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Tools to change belt   Tools to change belt EmptyFri May 28, 2010 10:19 am

What you need:

Ratchet with a 5/8 socket, a 5/8 wrench. these are to remove the seat bar.
3/8 small socket and an extension to remove the cover bolts.
a flathead screwdriver to loosen the exhaust tube.
A new belt
and a 1/2 extension about 8 inches long, this is the trick to getting the new belt on by putting it in the notch on the secondary clutch and spreading the sheave.
Be sure to clean out any broken pieces of belt that might be caught in the clutch parts. 431114
Back to top Go down
fat boy

fat boy

PostSubject: Re: Tools to change belt   Tools to change belt EmptyFri May 28, 2010 10:01 pm

Thanks for the info fellas! 395826 431114
Back to top Go down
Triel

Triel

PostSubject: Re: Tools to change belt   Tools to change belt EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 3:57 am

GunRunner wrote:
What you need:

Ratchet with a 5/8 socket, a 5/8 wrench. these are to remove the seat bar.
3/8 small socket and an extension to remove the cover bolts.
a flathead screwdriver to loosen the exhaust tube.
A new belt
and a 1/2 extension about 8 inches long, this is the trick to getting the new belt on by putting it in the notch on the secondary clutch and spreading the sheave.
Be sure to clean out any broken pieces of belt that might be caught in the clutch parts. 431114

All my stuff was metric. I carry a 8, 10, 13, 15mm wrench (ratchet style), 1/4" and 3/8" drive ratchets (I have short and long 3/8"), one 3" 1/4" and one 12" 1/4" drive extensions, two 3" 3/8" extentions, 8, 10, 13, 15mm shallow and deep sockets (8, 10, 13mm in 1/4" drive and 10, 13, 15 mm in 3/8" drive). One #2 Phillips/Cross screw driver and a #2 and #3 flat screw driver. I then have a 1/4" to 3/4" set of SAE all in 3/8" drive.

I know, a bunch of tools! That is why I installed a trailer tounge tool box in my bed. Soon I will cut all the pieces and have one built that is the entire size of the bed. That way it does not stick up so freaking high. I did find a hard plastic tonge box that may actually be wider but shorter. May go that route, just not sure yet. My box only cost me $200, when a good Kolpin will cost you $400 or more.
Back to top Go down
http://www.entropyinitiative.com
badride

Location : Confederate States of America Fighting Terriorism since 1861

PostSubject: Re: Tools to change belt   Tools to change belt EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 6:51 am

I inserted the two seat bar bolts up from the bottom and welded them in place. That way you don't have to have another wrench, and best of all, you don't have to worry about dropping one of the nuts. Just ask me how I know that last one............ lol!
Back to top Go down
Triel

Triel

PostSubject: Re: Tools to change belt   Tools to change belt EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 8:55 pm

Will have to try that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.entropyinitiative.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tools to change belt   Tools to change belt Empty

Back to top Go down

Tools to change belt
Page 1 of 1